Friday, April 23, 2010

Our Agency Calls

First, as you may have noticed in previous posts, I have been leaving out certain specific details of our adoption on purpose. This is a public blog so I want to keep some stuff vague so as to keep from specifically identifying the children we go to adopt until I feel that it is 'safe' to do so. Referrals can be 'lost'. I know of one Canadian agency that even prohibits its clients from posting anything in regards to their adoption on the internet. But, if there are details that you want to know that I have left out, feel free to ask via private email/facebook and I may just tell!

Last Monday, April 19th, the phone rings and our agency's name is on the call display. I tell myself to breath and that they are probably just calling to tell me that paperwork has expired and there is more to do. It is our co-ordinator, and she asks if I have time to talk to the director. I do, and even if I didn't, I do. Actually, at this point I figure that he is calling to get us to up our age limit - which they have asked us by email to do numerous times.

He is very socialable, asks about where we live and talks about his time in Alberta. Then he announces that he thinks they may have a referral for us, but that it is in a different region than the one we are currently registered. It is a new region for our agency and wasn't an option back when we were choosing where to adopt from within Russia. This other region he speaks of though is a bit more expensive, $3000 US per child more. Also, if we are interested we would need to do up another dossier and getting it 'legalized' at the consulate would cost approximately another $3000. So an additional $9000ish over waiting indefinitely for a referral from the region we are registered in. He also tells me the age/gender of the children. I let out a heart yearning 'ooooowww' and he laughs. I couldn't ask for a more perfect age/gender referral....but don't know anything else like health. "So do you want me to request the referral for you" he asks. My heart is saying "yes! yes!", and my mouth says "I need to talk to my husband".

Over the next few days we find out that we actually can't get the referral until July because the children haven't been on the Russian national database long enough to be eligible for international adoption. This means we wait to see if they are still available for adoption in July, or if a Russian family adopts them in the meantime. (sigh!) Up to the point where you sign the paperwork to accept a referral, a Russian family can snatch them up. And, even after you do sign the paperwork a relative can still decide to care for the children and stop the adoption. It is not until after the judge rules in your favour at court and the 10 day appeal period expires that they will really be ours. That seems mountains away. Again though, even if we do manage to get the referral we will have to see about their health. In Russia, fetal alcohol syndrome is a common concern.

So, at this point Aaron and I have decided to go ahead and get another dossier together for this new region, in hopes of getting this referral in July, since we found out that we can be registered in both regions at the same time. This gives us a little comfort that even if these children are adopted by someone else in the meantime, that it would still open up a whole other region for us and in theory may help get us another referral quicker.

I feel 'pregnant', and like we are announcing it immediately after seeing the + sign on the pee stick (pregnancy test). Very nervous, with a good chance of 'miscarrying'...and dreading having to tell the 'miscarry' story to everyone. I don't want another referral, I want this one. But God is wiser than I, so I trust and find comfort in Him. Like the song in my playlist (at the bottom of this page) by JJ Heller says, "when my world is shaking, Heaven stands. when my heart is breaking, I never leave Your hands."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My heart is so with you Christine! It brings tears to my eyes to hear about these little people that might be yours some day. What a heart wrenching experience.... to wait, to wonder. I feel pregnant with you (lol, even though in reality I am physically pregnant), I feel the fear of the "miscarry" and the massive dissapointment that would follow. I know that God has this whole thing in his hands for you, and I believe that He is the one cradling the little ones He has chosen for you.

Unknown said...

Wow, Christine and Aaron.
What a testimony you leave when you leave it to God and know that He directs all things.

Lori-Dawn said...

Excited for you, and totally understand the dread of "miscarrying"! Hugs! Praying for you guys!
Out of curiosity, did you know it is absolutely free to adopt right in Alberta??