Sunday, February 28, 2010

Name Game

This Zylstra household is all sick with a nasty cold so today's post will be short due to lack of brain cell activity!

As few may know, Aaron and I have a hard time with naming our children. Ever since I was pregnant with my first child I have been reading movie credits for name ideas. With only one of our children did we actually have a name picked out for them before they were born, and even then only if they were a girl. When we do get to Russia and accept a referral, we have to rename our children right then. That means that we have to be prepared with FOUR names since we could get two boys, two girls, or one of each. YIKES!!! We do have the option of keeping their name, but I don't think we will since I think I want them to have an 'american' name. It is much more likely that I will use their birth name as their middle name. Or maybe they will have two middle names, one their birth name and one we choose? I just really don't like stuff like 'Sasha' for a boy! I guess things may depend a little on the situation too...like if they were named by their birth mother, or just by the hospital which uses a 'letter of the month' system to name babies. Either way I want to be prepared with a minimum of two girl first names and two boy first names. So....HELP PLEASE! If you have any name suggestions that you don't mind us using, hit the comment link below and tell me! Maybe I'll have to come up with a prize for suggesting a name that we end up using...like a matroyshka doll from Russia (they are the nesting dolls made of wood).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine! I thought I should post on this because most Russian names have an "english" equivalent. In the case of Sasha, when I was in Ukraine I met a boy with that name and he said it was short for Alexander...???? Just in case you decide you want to just switch to their equivalent English name, you could probably find a website that translates them.

Bryony said...

Sorry about being "anonymous", couldn't figure out how to leave my name without a google account!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine! I don't know if you will ever get to this "late" comment again, but here goes.It seems to me that with all the problems you are called upon to solve, choosing a name for these children you expect to adopt, might not be the weightiest one. First of all, and this also is the most important thing on my mind, choose a name with an eye to the fact that the child must live with for the rest of his life. Bible names are all the rage these days, but I don't know... It's admirable, of course, but it's wise to be careful, they are not all suitable. What about historically promonent names? (Avoid "Barack" if you can...)But movie stars???
Aaron and Christine, all our love!
Pake and Beppe Zylstra.