Saturday, February 26, 2011

Honeymoon?

According to one adoption book I have, there are usually four stages a child goes through when they are adopted. She doesn't say how long each lasts, just lists the stages as follows: honeymoon period, time of struggle, jockeying for positions in new family, and then moving on to working relationships.

Well, I would guess that Alexander and Carter's honeymoon period lasted the car ride to the airport from the orphanage. Seriously, you can ask Beth! Their behaviour in Moscow was definitely not a 'honeymoon', it was a huge time of testing to see what they could get away with - but Alexander especially didn't leave it at that, he had to test the same thing about a dozen times a day (no exaggerating). Since coming home though their behaviours have becoming more 'normal'? Are we at a time of jockeying for position - maybe. Alexander and Cameron have rough-housed a few times, always ending with Alexander upset. Alexander and Alexis have also gotten to the point of fists flying a time or two. But, for the most part there really is peace between the children.

Now on to Eli. I think with him we have had a honeymoon period. He was very easy in Moscow, through most the flights, and here at home. But I am wondering now if that time has ended. I am now seeing him mad at times, usually when he wants me to pick him up and I don't, and he responds by sulking and hitting things. Today when I set him down after getting him up from his nap he got mad, started sulking, and then walked over to the bookshelf and hit a bunch of books to the floor. After that he took to hitting the wall he was standing beside - which is when I stepped in and sat him on the couch for a 'time-out'. After crying a bit and smacking his own legs a few times he mellowed out and started to play.

Medical stuff - STILL waiting for results for parasites. Glasses picked out for Eli and should be here in about a week. Eli and Carter's teeth are okay for now. Alexander though needs two pulled (already missing two as well), a couple fillings, and a whole bunch capped. Estimate of $3500, hoping most will be covered by insurance but haven't had a chance to look into it.

English still seems to be coming at a snail's pace. Russian almost always comes out of Alexander's mouth first and then the odd time he will correct himself and say the English (kind of like the others remembering to say please!). Most often we still remind him to use the few English words we've taught him. Comprehension is still improving though. At least all the kids seem to have finally learnt each other's names rather than Alexander calling out 'sister' or 'little boy' in Russian, or our bio's referring to 'the two-year kid' or 'the four-year kid'. I guess ages are easier to remember than names? Oh, and Carter had his appointment about his feet and things are fine enough for now. Hopefully will develop more of an arch (and balance) as he gets a little older.

Alexander (who loves music and instruments) now sings 'Jesus Loves Me' many times a day, with quite a few mis-pronounciations :) He sings on tune though very well for a four year old. So bedtime now gets two songs.

Carter is also now officially three years old, he just doesn't know it yet. His birthday was Monday the 21st, but we decided last minute NOT to have a birthday party for him yet since neither he (or Alexander) would understand what was going on. This way no jealousy issues, etc. I think a pool party is in order (after how much they love to play in the water at bathtime) in roughly a month or so.... and then we can combine it with Alexis's birthday as well since they are still young enough not to care about that. Now I will just need to find some people to help even out the kid-to-adult ratio!

Some after bath pics

So starting Monday February 28th Aaron is planning on going back to work 5 hours a day. This will allow for him to still take the kids outside in the afternoon for a bit of a playtime - a time of day I greatly cherish! (they like it too)

Outside pics from oldest to youngest
Eli stays inside - usually napping. Hanging out under the table or high chairs though is one of his favorite things, so I am including this pic.

That's all I can think of for an update. Now to write our ' 2010 Christmas letter'! Its usually late anyways, and this year I had a good excuse :)  Have a decent family photo to send with it too that Hope (our Pastor's wife) took, so I can introduce the boys to everyone who doesn't come here to see pics.

2 comments:

Carala said...

wow! You are so much more on the ball than I am! Way to go girl.

Looks like things are going pretty well. I didn't know about the 4 stages...but I definitely knew about the honeymoon stage and the stage of struggle...cause we've been through both. It's nice to know it's "normal" stuff and everyone goes through it! I think there's another stage too, called "mama woke up on the wrong side of the bed"....(that's me today!) Hopefully this stage only lasts the day! LOL!

I am so happy for you guys...that the kids are doing pretty well. I understand the hard days...and I think you probably have even rougher days cause you have 3 new ones all at different ages and development. I admire you and think you are amazing!

I hope you got the photo of Alexander and Caate. I sent it yesterday!

much love,
Carala

Naomi said...

You are truly amazing! Glad to hear that everyone is settling into their forever home. Promise to keep you updated and can only dream of the honeymoon and all of the stages to come! Take care!!