Saturday, March 5, 2011

Eli's Bath

As I am sure I've mentioned before, at first the boys were all scared of having a bath. That changed quickly with Alexander and Carter, but Eli has been slower to come around. The change this past week has just been heartwarming, and also sad in a way...

Although Eli had stopped crying at baths, he still has been very uneasy - basically doesn't move, will just hold a toy, wimpers and whines when I pour a little water anywhere on him, etc. Two baths ago we had some break throughs. He started the bath gasping for air everytime I poured some water down his shoulders, tummy, or back. I then got him actually playing with a toy and after that he started to 'experiment' a bit. He would kick his leg a little just to see what it felt like. He would look at his wet hand and then very gingerly put it to his mouth to feel and taste it, and then stare at it some more. I also managed to get him to play a game where I would put a wet cloth somewhere on him and he had to pull it off (although he was quite unsure of this at first, it did catch on). And then tonight at bathtime something amazing happened... he was SPLASHING! A bath or two ago I started to grab his hands and smack the water with it to make little splashes because he usually acted like he was scared to touch the water. Tonight he started doing it (repeatedly) all on his own. No gasps tonight, lots of playing, and more exploring! He would put a wet toy in his mouth and then look at me to make sure he wasn't in trouble. He initiated the cloth game. He held out his hand over and over again for me to pour water on it. It was almost like he was enjoying a bath like a typical 20mth old, except discovering everything for the first time.

It was heartwarming to watch him discover these new sensations, have fun, and lose his fear. It was sad to thing of what it must have been like 'before'. Aaron saw him the other day with a toy in his mouth and asked me if it was okay - normally I wouldn't really like it, but I know that he was not ever allowed to do that in the orphanage, and how much babies use their mouths for discovery (and simply enjoy it) - so it is okay for Eli. It is actually great for Eli.

While we are on Eli, we picked up his glasses a couple days ago. They are a little big for him so slide down his nose constantly, but were the smallest they had. He looks very cute in them, so here is a picture I took after his bath tonight. No troubles getting him to smile when I pulled out the camera!

2 comments:

Sarah Amalia said...

Such a handsome fellow Christine! You (and he) are blessed :)

I like your new family pic too btw.

Lori-Dawn said...

Love the family picture! Also, what an incredibly heartwarming story...the bath story! It is SO cool to see the fears leave and the trust established! hugs of joy sent your way!